Monday 23 January 2012

Hijab part 4 Mona






Salaam and Hello, 

My dearest blog readers it feels like such a long time since we have spoken, as my previous post highlighted I have had some technical difficulties of late with my Mac, thank God (Humdulliliah) normal service is now able to resume. And what better way to resume it but with Hijab part 4 Mona.

Mona is a young Lady that doesn't live too far away from my parents house, she was sign posted to me by a dear friend Sister Shazia. It's always a little nerve racking meeting someone new but It was an unfounded fear, as I found Mona to be open, friendly and oh so funny xx(I have noticed many of the Hijabi's I have photographed have the most amazing sense of humour) Plus I have to admit I have a certain soft spot for her parents after meeting them both. I can see where Mona gets her lovely personality from. Mona is from a mixed race background, her Mother is an English revert and her father Egyptian. 
She is currently at University studying graphic arts. As well as this she works as a waitress in the much accaimed Nirvana Spa, apparently a favourite haunt of the rich and famous including stars such as Robbie Williams and Kylie. I find this concept amazing that amongst this glitz and glamour these people and are seeing a beacon of humility. The thing I really loved about Mona apart from her wicked sense of humour was her creativity and thirst for knowledge. I found myself happily explaining some photography tricks to her and even agreed for her to assist me on any events in town. You know me I keep harping on about female empowerment and it warmed my heart to see a young female showing such an ardent interest in photography. I have a very strong feeling in years to come you will find in Mona an acomplished graphic designer and hopefully (inshallah) a great photographer too. But I have no doubt whatever Mona ends up doing she will do it well.


what made you decide to wear the hijab?


If I had been asked this question back when I was 12 years old, which is the age I officially started wearing the scarf, I most probably would have said in my squeaky little voice something along the lines of “because in our religion we have to” or “because my parents expect me to”. And that’s not to say it was forced upon me.

My memory is pretty rubbish considering my age, but I vaguely recall the “hijab chat” from my father. You know that so called “father/son” chat, well it was something similar to that, starts with similar lines such as “there comes a time….” only in my case it was about the “birds” wearing the hijab. 

And so I was quite happy to wear my beginner’s hijab after that. Some of you will know which one I’m referring to. You know the standard one-piece tube that you just slip your head through like a turtle. Mum said I couldn’t wear the ones with pins for health and safety reasons in case I miss the scarf and stab my scalp. So anyway I didn’t really think twice before putting the scarf on, in fact I was probably overly excited to wear it. At that age you don’t care what people think of you or care what you look like. You’re just a kid. You don’t see the world through the eyes of a Muslim woman. I still saw the world through my precious Disney glasses, so I was clearly too young to be worrying about what to wear. Most of all I didn’t really appreciate why the scarf is important, or truly understand the value of it. To me my mother wore it, my sister wore it, and now it was my time. I didn’t want to be the odd apple, I just wanted to please my family, it wasn’t about pleasing myself.

But then I got older, and that’s when the real tests of wearing the hijab began, that’s when I began to test myself. The world is a different place than what it appeared when you were younger. Being a young Muslim girl, wearing the hijab and growing up in a western society you find yourself faced with new challenges and temptations. I sometimes felt like a fish in a big pond. Although there are many that also dress like you, you can still feel alone and lost if you don’t address what’s in the mind as well as what’s on the body. Islam doesn’t teach me to just follow the actions of my Muslim elders blindly, or do something because that’s what’s always been done. The hijab isn’t an old family antique past down through the generations at the coming of age. It’s something you choose to do for the sake of God and for the benefit of us. I have a duty to myself, and most of all God, to wear the Hijab for no reason other than I believe in its cause and because I have chosen to wear it. So although I felt like a little lost Nemo, the more I questioned things and questioned the hijab, the more I educated myself and with that I grew stronger inside and so did my love for the hijab. That’s when I truly started wearing the hijab



How does wearing the hijab make you feel?


Wearing the Hijab, has become like another part of my body. Like an arm or a leg. I don’t really think about how it makes me feel on a daily basis, just like u don’t think about how it feels to be able to walk from A-B everyday. But if I was to lose a leg, only then would I really appreciate it and long for that feeling of being able to walk. And similarly, if I didn’t have my Hijab, I would long for that feeling of wearing it. That feeling of being a step closer to God and feeling proud to be recognised by the world as a Muslim.

Many people have the misconception that wearing the Hijab is like a burden to Muslim woman, something that we sacrifice our happiness and freedom for. Well I’m a Muslim woman and I will tell you now, when I wear the Hijab and I’m walking down the street you may see me smiling or you may not (it depends weather it’s before or after food) but just know I will be smiling inside. And I don’t care if people aren’t smiling back at me, because I know God is smiling down on me, and that’s all I need, that’s all any of us really need. You know how I said I used to wear the scarf to please my parents and make them proud of me. Well I wear the hijab now to please God. And in return it pleases me to know I am pleasing him. I don’t feel caged in or restricted with a scarf round my head. I just feel protected. I can still achieve I just feel more guided. And I can still be beautiful. I just feel more beautiful to God.


 What have been the positives and negatives of wearing the Hijab?


The hijab has had such positive effects on me. One of the beautiful things about wearing the scarf is it helps to keep you grounded and is a constant reminder to not just others but yourself of the faith you represent and the beliefs you hold.

Growing up in a western world and especially being in university, student life is honestly one big test. The University social life itself thrives on alcohol, clubbing, getting wasted, basically losing yourself. It is not always easy being surrounded by it, especially when there are not many people you can turn to who share the same values and beliefs as you. So naturally it’s hard to meet things halfway. You want to enjoy yourself and be a part of a community but it’s hard sometimes when that community has a totally different social life. That’s when you start feeling the pressure and temptation of life on the other side. And for me wearing the scarf acts as a physical barrier from these things that will misguide me or weaken my soul. That’s not meaning I would easily be mislead if I didn’t wear it, most importantly your core should be strong. But as where all human we can sometimes feel our faith (or deen as muslims call it) weakened at times. These times when I feel most vulnerable I feel like the scarf acts as a double reinforcement, a bit of Hijabi double-glazing you could call it !!!!!

Negatives hmm yes in summer things can get a bit heated under my scarf and sometimes you do get the odd look when everyone’s rolling round in shorts and vest and you’re there basking in layers of clothing. They sometimes slip in the “o wow u must be boiling” and I just laugh and say if I can handle the heat in Egypt then I sure as hell can handle England’s…plus we all know its probably gonna be raining later. Plus it has its benefits of keeping me extra warm in winter, and I just say to the same person “o wow u must be freezing” :P





Please feel free to discuss and leave comments below by clicking on the word comment xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback