Monday 15 April 2013

Never take a Turk to eat Thai food

So saturday was my girl's Birthday over here in Istanbul. Brittany is from the States and is living with me in the apartment that the school has given us for three months. Now we ummmmed and ahhhed over what to do for her birthday and settled on a Thai restaurant in Taksim. Cok cok Thai. It might not sound like a big thing to you but over here in Istanbul non Turkish food is hard to find. Needless to say a few of us were rather excited to get our chops around some Thai food. In fact I was dreaming of Thai red curry for about 3 days prior to Saturday night's outing.

So off we went with our organised group of friends from all over the world. We had Brits, Americans, A French girl, A Syrian girl, a Kurd, a Brazilian and several Turks with us. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and the food was nice. Well actually it wasn't a patch on the Thai food you get in the UK but it was still good. However nothing had prepared us for our Turkish friend's reaction to Thai food, it was comical to say the least. They were not impressed one little bit and spent most of the night letting us know that Thai food isn't anything compared to Turkish food. Now don't get me wrong I love Turkish food but after Pakistani food south east Asian is my fave nibble and growing up in the Uk with it's vast array of foreign restaurants has trained my taste buds to be diverse and open minded.

I guess the lesson for me is that when I celebrate my birthday I better pick a Turkish restaurant or there may actually be a riot on my hands. Regardless of the malay over the food it was a good night and it is so important when you are away from home to celebrate one's birthday. It takes the edge off the homesickness a little. So here's to cok chok Thai. Oh and an added bonus I did manage to find out from the waiter where I could find Thai ingredients and the ever elusive Kish nish - Corriander...yaaaaaah now just to figure out where this address is lol




you can kinda see everyone lol

me and the bday girl xxx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family. prodotti artigianali

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback