Thursday 16 December 2010

SHAKER AAMER

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty aware I have been missing in action for the last few days but I have a good excuse. I've been busy assisting on shoots and sticking my head in cold tanks of water (I'll explain in the next post) And to be honest I really am not that well. So bare in mind this is being typed from my sickbed x

On Saturday I attended a talk at Battersea Arts Centre. There was a march through South London before that but unfortunately I had to miss that. However as I said I did attend the talk.

This talk was for a man called Shaker Aamer. Most of you will not recognise the name. Don't be ashamed of that..the media blanket and lack of information means that many people are not aware of this poor mans situation. What you should be ashamed of is after reading his story you do nothing to promote or support his cause.
So let me give you a brief overview if I can of his story to bring you up to speed.

Shaker Aamer was Born in Saudi Arabia but came to the UK in the early 90's. He worked as a translator in a respectable law firm, found a wife and settled into British life. Shaker not being satisfied with his own comfort chose to seek an opportunity to help those less fortunate then himself.

Shaker decided to work in Afghanistan so in 2001 he set out to do so with his wife and children. Whilst there he lived and worked with Moazzam Begg. (former Guantanamo detainee) They worked on several projects together including Girls Schools and building wells. They were assisting to help a country ravaged by decades of war after war.

Unfortunately for Shaker and others like him he was taken in by the American forces after possibly being sold for the huge bounties offered for foreign Muslims. It is believed many of those detained in Afghanistan and Guantanamo were sold for rewards or revenge. The Americans never checked..eager for numbers to fill their torture camps.
Shaker was then transported from Kabul to Cuba. However whilst there he was given the name of "The Professor" due to his wisdom and knowledge.
He even negotiated with the Americans during the hunger strike of 2005 to ensure that they followed the Geneva convection in regards to human rights. A promise they later backed down on and took further by putting Aamer back in solitary confinement.

Shaker is the last British detainee in Guantanamo bay..it is said he is still held there in isolation due to his strong voice in prisoner's rights.
Below is a quote from Shaker in a letter from 2006...after which no correspondence was allowed.
“I am dying here every day, mentally and physically. This is happening to all of us. We have been ignored, locked up in the middle of the ocean for many years…I have problems many problems from the filthy yellow water…I have lung problems from the chemicals they spread all over the floor…I am already arthritic at 40 because I sleep on a steel bed, and they use freezing air conditioning as part of the interrogation process. I have ruined eyes from the permanent, 24-hourfluorescent lights. I have tinnitus in my ears from the perpetual noise…I have ulcers and almost permanent constipation from the food. I have been made paranoid, so I can trust nobody, not even my lawyer. I was over 250 lbs. I dropped to 130lbs in the hunger strike. I want to make it easy on everyone, I want no feeding, no forced tubes, no ‘help’, no ‘intensive assisted feeding.’”
 Obama talks of closing Guantanamo but there is no guarantee of Shaker's return. There has never been any proof of terrorists links or affiliations. This is a man who has been separated from his family. Who has not even seen his youngest child. And for what crime is he being punished for? For being Muslim. Below is an extract from his youngest child..I dare you not to feel moved.
“My name is Johina Aamer. I am 11 years old.I haven’t seen my dad for more than seven years. My dad is a British resident who hasn’t come out of Guantanamo yet. My little brother, Faris Amer, is seven and he’s never seen his own father. We have also had lots of Eid festivals without our dad which is not the same as him being here. We would not like to miss any more Eids. We want our Dad to pick us up from school and take us to the park like all other Dads. I am happy for Binyam Mohamed to be coming home but please don’t forget my dad.”
For further information on how you can get involved with Shaker's case and others like him please refer to this site.
http://www.cageprisoners.com/our-work

Taking the photographs at these events has really affected me and I am glad in my small little way I can do something to fight injustice. But we all need to Unite and fight to bring him home. Please log onto cage prisoners for details on how to go about doing this.

















2 comments:

  1. I couldn't find much about Mr. Aamer at the link above but there's a good list of links at Andy Worthington's blogsite
    http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/category/shaker-aamer/

    Amnesty also have a form for you to write to your MP regarding his case:
    http://action.amnesty.org.uk/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=1194&ea.campaign.id=8493

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that further information.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback