Friday 23 December 2011

HIJAB PART TWO - HASNAE


Part one of my project “Hijab” has been received so well by you all. Many of you have told me that you cannot wait for part two. To be honest neither could I so here it is xx I really hope you guys enjoy it and stay with me as we go through the rest of the series. So come on lets enjoy the diversity and the strength of these amazing women.

Part 2 is Hasnae. I met Hasnae about a year ago when she booked me to photograph her 21st birthday. I've stayed in touch with this funny, witty and intelligent young lady ever since. 
Hasnae is amongst a growing number of highly educated and motivated young Muslim women. Combining her practise of  Islam with her studies. she has recently completed her degree in Abrahamic Religions and is currently working on her Masters in Near and Middle Eastern Studies, majoring in Islamic law. For me women like Hasnae represent great strength in the face of an ever changing world.
She is part of what we call the MTV generation, from teens to people in their early 20's that have grown up in a culture of excess. Of sex, alcohol, and drugs, bombarded with images of total nihilism. She is part of a generation where young women are force fed images of over-sexualised females, influenced to believe the less garments worn the more liberated as a woman you become. What really intrigues me is how amongst all these negatives of society she and other young women like her find the strength to prevent negatives having an impact on their thoughts, progress, beliefs and lives. It is this strength which makes these young women so confident as to go against the norms of general society and their British peers. Choosing instead to dress with modesty.
Hasnae and others have freely chosen to follow the paths of their ancestors and maintain such an outwardly symbol of Islam. These are the strong inspirational women of the future. I believe we should give them all the encouragement and support that we can, which is no less than what they deserve.
What made you decide to wear the hijab?
I wore the headscarf properly, as in wore it and never took it off, at the age of 15. Before that as a child, I'd take it off every summer because it was too hot!
I'm grateful I did that because I was able to freely experiment until I decided to put it on and keep it on. It was never a forced practice; Mum always explained the benefits and the rest was left to me. Because of that all - I'm happy with my decision in wearing it. I was encouraged to always think independently and this has strengthened every act I do.
Despite the fact that the religious reasons of covering the hair are yet to leave me satisfied, I strongly stand by the practice because it's a rich part of my upbringing and background.
How does wearing the hijab make you feel?
I've never really thought about how wearing the headscarf makes me feel before I was asked this for the project. It's a bit like asking me how reading a book makes me feel, or how putting my pyjamas on before I get into bed, or how ordering my breakfast makes me feel. Oh no wait, ordering breakfast makes me feel very excited! But lame jokes aside, it's something I just do, I don’t really think about it. At this stage, it feels like an innate part of my life, an intrinsic practice. If I had to give this thought, I’d say it makes me feel safe, just like being sheltered makes one feel safe, or safer at least.
What have been the positives and negatives of wearing the hijab?
Positives to wearing the headscarf, I'd say it's easier than styling your hair! But really, it's a constant reminder to me of my submission to God.
Negatives to wearing the headscarf, I can't think of any, sorry. Really!


CLICKING ON THE IMAGE WILL ALLOW YOU TO ENLARGE



So that's the end of part two. Below you will see the word comment, if you click on it you can leave me some comments about the project so far. It would be really great if we could use this as a starting place for some discussions on the subject xxx


5 comments:

  1. Great Pic fantastic write up and interesting Style. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that xx hope you enjoy the rest of the series

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog, good insight into young muslim women living in London. Keep it up. Lovely pic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic girl, I've had the oppertunity to dialogue with this gregarious individual. She represents innovative ideas , bridging gaps between the East and the West , eliminating any thought that Islam is a radical religion. She has a bright future ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Zahra! Thanks! I miss our religion-related convos at QP! Won't ever forget the support you gave me, and still do!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback