Tuesday 9 November 2010

Power the hijab and Muslim women

Recently there has been a lot of hoo haa in the media about a particular lady converting to Islam. That ladies name is Lauren Booth half sister of Cherie Blair.


A lot of the negativity directed toward her by the media and by anti Islamic groups is because she wants to wear the Hijab. There has been an abundance of comments made about the Hijab and it got me thinking .......I may not wear a Hijab myself but that's more through my own weakness and vanity...my personal opinion is that it is truly a beautiful thing.


As a Muslim woman I am sick and tired of all the negative images and press our Muslim sisters get. I am fed up as I am sure you are of the stereo types that any sister that covers is weak, submissive and controlled. That due to our head covering that we are some how inferior humans and seen as such by our community and the world. 

Well we know different...some of the most strongest and amazing women i know are Hijabis....Wearing the Hijab has never held them back or reduced their desire to succeed and achieve. So why all the negative images...??

That's the reason for the project 'Power, the Hijab and Muslim Women.' I want to balance out this view and show the world what our sisters are really about. Show the true image of the Muslim Woman not preconceived western ideology.

My project will show the sisters in a positive light and speak the truth.
It is an on going project with a span of up to a year to get pictures from the UK and abroad and Inshallah will once completed be exhibited.

What I am looking for is Hijabi/Niqabi sisters who do a variance of roles anything that is seen as strong or unusual. I already have several journalists and Politicians and well as activists on board as well as Hijabi martial arts...any suggestions are welcome and there is no definition for what you may feel is successful and amazing and it isn't about who makes the most money but who challenges the stereo types. 

Obviously you have to be comfortable having your picture taken but I would like to add you are able to see the pictures before to see if you are happy and can change your mind about your involvement at any time.

I know many of you may feel a little shy but this is for a good cause..us sisters need to take our image back from the west and send back what we want them to see...lets show them the truth and Inshallah the world will see what we see...that our sisters are truly the best.

If you feel this project is not for you I respect that and wish you love but if you or anyone else you know may be interested I am willing to discuss at greater length.


Please feel free to email me on duniyaphotography@yahoo.co.uk for more information and to organise a mutually convenient time for your picture to be taken.


Also as well as the picture you will be asked two question.
" why did you decide to wear the Hijab?"
"and how does it make you feel?"

Thank you for all your help and interest and Inshallah this project will be a success.

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    Just wanted to say that I think this is a great project and a brilliant way to voice the views of Muslim woman. It will be a way to highlight that wearing hijab does not prohibit anyone from having a good life style or career.

    Jazakallah Dunya Photography for taking this step.

    Ripa

    ReplyDelete
  2. heya

    just wanted to echo the above person and say that is a great project to challenge the stereotypes. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, is there anyway to personally email u? I read a lot of things on the internet and have come across what I believe to be inspirational hijabi women. If you can give me an email to message you, perhaps I can show you who they are. Thanx x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can email me on duniyaphotography@yahoo.co.uk
    And thank u all for all the support x

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback